POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : TrainFaces 1.0.0 : Re: TrainFaces 1.0.0 Server Time
5 May 2024 19:25:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TrainFaces 1.0.0
From: Blue Herring
Date: 23 Jul 2008 11:34:24
Message: <48874f80$1@news.povray.org>
Chris B wrote:
> When I tried opening the various html files using Internet Explorer 7
> under Windows the images and links didn't work. I believe the issue was
> down to a tag 'base href="."' that Open Office seems to have inserted
> into the header section of each file. I removed this line from each of
> the html files on the web site and they now seem to work ok under both
> Firefox and IE7 on Windows. You might want to check that they're still
> ok when viewed from Linux. I don't know if you have an option under Open
> Office to suppress the offending tag in the future.
>
> When I did get to see all those chubby smiling faces, I couldn't help
> breaking out in a stupid smirk myself. It looks like you've done a
> really nice job there.

Heh, thanks very much!

I really appreciate you making those corrections.  As a rule I always do
my HTML by hand, but this time I thought I'd try OpenOffice with the
XHTML export.  I really like OpenOffice, and the XHTML export does work
quite well.  However, there are some small but crucial details that
can't be controlled from within the application.  For example, it
completely refused to output relative link urls.  Additionally it output
  utf8 characters instead of entities for things like non-breaking
space, and left/right quotes, which gave me mime errors on upload.  So
the final result still needed to be run through a sed script and Tidy.
I'm pretty sure this issue isn't tweakable from within the application
either.  So it was a good experience until the end, and the next version
I'll probably be doing by hand, or possibly with some custom xslt.

<potential rant>
As an aside, I manage the internal web site for my group at work, and I
must say IE has been the bane of my existence.  I do it by hand with
some custom XML and XSLT and am a stickler for making it 100% standards
compliant.  However its amazing in how many wacky ways IE can break
things, requiring painful tweaking...
</potential rant>

Just curious, is there a specific reason why HTML needs to be ASCII
instead of utf8 for the collection?

--
-The Mildly Infamous Blue Herring